Thursday, September 2, 2010

What I Have Learned From The Family Tree Project

At first, I did not know why we had to do this project and present it to the whole class about our history, our culture and ourselves. But after all, I think this project is very helpful and I have learned many things from it.

First of all, when I was discussing with my parents about our history, I have learned that they were living in North Vietnam before they came to South Vietnam and their accents are mixed of the two. Also, they were poor back then but they worked extremely hard to earn money and I was born in a wealthy family so I am very proud to be their daughter. Secondly, I got to know that they are experts at tennis; they've won thirteen trophies in total from many tournaments, they play tennis for more than ten years and they're still playing it.

Not that I've only learned about my family history and my parents, but I have also learned about Korean culture. On New Year's Day in Korea, you have to bow to people when you see them. If i was a kid from five years old or older, you had to bow 45 degrees. If it was a ten-year-old or older, you had to bow 90 degrees. And If it was an adult from twenty years old or older, you had to bow 140 degrees. If you did not bow to them, they would say that your parents don't know how to teach you. I think it was an interesting presentation because I got to know more about Korean culture, it's also a big difference from Vietnamese culture and Korean culture.

This project is very helpful and I'm looking forward to more projects that help us learn more about different people and different cultures.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you. This project is really good and helpful. I really like Korean's culture and it is very new for me too.
    And i really like your project too. I think it is really cool that your parents play tennis that cool. I think you should play with them too. If you are interested, of course :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agreed with you, Ami and Linda. This project was so excited, and helpful. Because it made us learned about our self and others.
    And also, the Korean culture's is cool, I love the part when Sarah and Mr.Blake both bowed with 135 degrees. But I think that would hurt people who are older have to bow the people who are older than them.

    By the way, you should play tennis with your parents, because that will increase your tennis skills in PE class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahah Linda and Joe, thanks for encouraging me to play tennis with my parents. I hope I would, if i liked it, but unfortunately I do swimming but not tennis. :)

    ReplyDelete